Monday, December 10, 2007

Creating a bunch of illiterates

To further offend my sensibilities about my beef with the automatic moronic translator, today at the gym I saw an ad for a voice recognition computer program that allows people to dictate to the computer instead of typing, supposedly in order to save time. So now, not only we can read gibberish on the internet but we don't even have to type an email. I wonder if these supposed technological advances like the GPS navigation systems for drivers and this contraption are not making us lazier and stupider. Using your brain to perform complex tasks like driving and writing should be good for your brain and your overall health. It is also much more rewarding to figure it out by yourself than having a machine "think" it through for you. Call me a luddite, but I'm afraid we're creating a nation of atrophied vegetating morons with all these gadgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment