Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Chemise

...is not necessarily a shirt in French. It is also a Mexican popsicle that tastes like heaven.
It is called a Chemise (or Chemis) because it is a cilinder of vanilla icecream surrounded by delicious strawberry ice. These things are still around in Mexico City and I had my proustian moment yesterday as I ate one that tasted exactly like the ones I used to eat as a child.
As my dear friend Mr. Parker (he of the Delicious Circle) says, nothing ever dies in Mexico. Brands don't die, cheesy disco music lives on forever.


Case in point: Bremen brand mini marshmallows that look exactly the same as they did when I was three. Why futz around with something when it is perfect? Thus, the label of the plastic bag is a marvel of retro understatement. Here, only the big multinational purveyors of junk food believe in that relentless American mantra of New and Improved, although I did see new weird flavors of Chamoy, such as Mango and Tamarindo. I really wish we stop emulating Procter and Gamble and leave these things as they are (sans lead, if that is possible).


However, there is a major metaphysical crisis I was not aware of that has to do with some enterprising marketer changing the very metaphysical label of the Paletón Corona. If you must know the Paletón is a lollipop made of marshmallow with a chocolate covering. It tastes exactly the same today as it did in the Pleistocene period when I was born. But they changed the label, and unbeknownst to them, thereby killing metaphysics. More on this when I get to NY, with pictures, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment