Thursday, November 09, 2006

All I can say is WOW

The Mexico City Assembly has approved 43 to 17 a law legalizing gay civil unions in my hometown DF. I'm speechless. For a country that is immensely, deeply, traditionally homophobic, I'm very surprised and very happily so. It goes to show that here and anyehere else, civil unions are the right thing to do. Gay couples need not be legally discriminated and should be able to enjoy all the benefits that the law gives to everyone else. It's as simple as that. If it makes people feel better by calling it a union instead of marriage, so be it. You can call it whatever you want as long as it's fair.
I'm sure that a lot of conservative people had a heart attack, but the illegality of discriminating against somebody over their sexual orientation is incontrovertible and unfair and morally, legally and ethically wrong. So bravo to the assemblypeople who made it happen. Perhaps the rest of the country can follow suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment