Monday, September 24, 2007

I'm having a heart attack

Call 911. They are putting a Starbucks across the street. On the corner of Houston and West Broadway.
I am seriously hyperventilating. This is the beginning of the end.

Middle Enchiladita and her husband, who are in town from DF, fail to see the harrowing implications of such a development. They look at me as if I was totally deranged.

I suffered in semi-silence when Subway, the sandwich chain arrived (2 in a one block radius). I kvetched to no end when Kim's Video materialized into a Duane Reade. I'm looking at the new Pinkberry on Bleecker St. with deep distrust. I rue the day that my Price Wise Pharmacy became a stupid North Fork Bank. And now this. This is pathetic. It's the last straw.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, Yehudit, remember, there's a Starbucks nearly across the street from Place de Saint Michel, not too far off from Sorbonne's exquisite Cardinal Richelieu auditorium. It's a small price (well, questionable) to pay, I guess, for the capitalist machine helping college students and minority workers make ends meet. Sad to say that when I was at my unemployed worst, I even considered working there because of their health insurance plan for part-time workers. It's not the worst thing, it's not the best thing, it's just the way things go, even in "Vive La France."

    ReplyDelete