Sunday, April 23, 2006

A day of rest...

...from bitching. I am quite hungover from the myriads of margaritas I imbibed last night. You should know I made them from scratch with fresh lime juice, triple sec, good tequila and nary a blender. After doing exhaustive research trying to figure out the proportions, I came to the conclusion that any recipe that tells you that it's equal proportions of the three ingredients, you should dismiss.
It's more or less: 1 cup of 100% agave tequila. If you try something that doesn't say that on the label you will not forgive yourself in the morning and neither will your friends.
1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice or even less (lime juice is very intense), and like 1/4 cup of triple sec. Stir with ice and pour on a previously salt-rimmed martini glass. Try to use small martini glasses, not cocktail glasses the size of swimming pools (use a lime to rim the glass, the salt sticks better and it tastes yummy). I used kosher salt.
This makes very potent margaritas. Drinkboy suggests reverse proportions of triple sec and lime. Maybe it works better. Next time, I think I'll use a better orange liqueur, like Cointreau, because triple sec is too sweet and kind of cheapo.
The other day my friend Joe made these unorthodox margaritas with Drambuie, which I forgave him because they were a lovely pink color and they were utterly delicious.

My lovely guests braved the horrible weather and I hope they had as good a time as I did. My incomparable friends picked up the place before I could blink (the kitchen looked like a junior version of some sort of tropical depression) and yet, we last survivors even went dancing to another party after everyone had left. I was quite amazed I could shake my booty relatively proficiently, considering the amount of booze I had in me. I guess the trick was that I didn't mix. Today my stomach feels like there is a crater in it, but yesterday the margaritas did their thing.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:26 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete