1. God does not exist.
2. God exists and he is a scoundrel.
3. God exists, but sometimes he sleeps: his nightmares are our existence.
4. God exists, but has fits of madness; those fits are our existence.
5. God is not omnipresent, he can't be everywhere at once. Sometimes he is absent; perhaps in other worlds? In other things?
6. God is a poor devil, with a problem too complicated for his own strength. He fights against matter as an artist fights with his work. Sometimes, at a given moment, he can be Goya, but generally he's a disaster.
7. God was vanquished before the beginning of History by the Prince of Darkness. And, turned into a mere devil, his reputation is doubly lost, because this calamitous universe is attributed to him.
Sunday, March 26, 2006
Everything you always wanted to know about God
...but were afraid to ask because it is such a taboo. Well here it is, in the words of the fantastic Argentinean writer Ernesto Sábato: a theory of who God really is, and one I subscribe to more than all the others. The translation from the Spanish is mine: