Thursday, September 28, 2006

Oh, but I do*

From an outraged editorial in the NYT about the anti-terrorism measures by Bush:
There is not enough time to fix these bills, especially since the few Republicans who call themselves moderates have been whipped into line, and the Democratic leadership in the Senate seems to have misplaced its spine. If there was ever a moment for a filibuster, this was it.

We don’t blame the Democrats for being frightened*. The Republicans have made it clear that they’ll use any opportunity to brand anyone who votes against this bill as a terrorist enabler. But Americans of the future won’t remember the pragmatic arguments for caving in to the administration.

They’ll know that in 2006, Congress passed a tyrannical law that will be ranked with the low points in American democracy, our generation’s version of the Alien and Sedition Acts.

*Well I do. We all have to blame them for being such disgraceful losers. If we don't blame them, they are never going to get it. They need to find some cojones somewhere. Geez!
I keep getting phone calls from Hillary and letters from Bill and Gore and Kerry and this sorry bunch asking me for money. "Do not let the Republicans do this or that". How about you, sorry bastards, you stop the Republicans from passing horrid laws. That's what we pay you for. That's why we voted for you in the first place.
I am not giving these people one red cent because they disgust me. They deserve to lose the election. I am so angry at them I feel like voting for John McCain just to spite them.
They are afraid that people are going to think they are soft on terrorists if they fight against terrible un-American, un-democratic laws. That's what happened with Hillary and her support for the Iraq war. She disappointed us all. She may very well become the President of the United States one day and it will be for sheer political cunning, but not an ounce of principle. Perhaps I am naive and I expect my representatives to represent my views, not to bend down and take it in the ass like they've been doing for almost eight years.
They are already in the dumps, so what have they got to lose? Could it be possibly worse than it already is? I doubt it. So why not use the opportunity of Bush's unpopularity, the disastrous war, Katrina, Global Warming, every fucking thing they do that's wrong and attack it. Attack it like there is no tomorrow. Am I wrong in thinking that many people may respond to some measure of political bravery of common sense and principle? Instead we get whining, whimpering cowards.
Maybe they should stop being afraid for one moment and just act with their consciences. Maybe the American people would notice.
And I am supposed to vote for them? Why? They suck and I hate their spineless guts.

No comments:

Post a Comment