Monday, May 29, 2006

Cannes't wait to see them

So Ken Loach won the Cannes Film Festival. Good for him. With a movie about the British war against the Irish. Cool.
I have to confess, I've only seen two movies by him, Bread and Roses, with Adrien Brody, which seemed to me preachy and didactic, and My Name is Joe, with Peter Mullan, which was a good, solid drama. We'll have to check him out.
Apparently a lot of people were disappointed that Pedro Almodovar's movie Volver, didn't win the prize, yet he got a best screenplay nod and an ensemble best acting prize for all his actresses.
In recent years I find his movies to be repetitive and shticky, and my favorites continue to be among his first. However, Volver features Carmen Maura again, for which we all should be immensely grateful.
Best director went to my fellow countryman Alejandro González Iñárritu for his work on Babel. Way to go "Negro"! The movie was written by Mexican screenwriter du jour Guillermo Arriaga (Amores Perros, 21 Grams, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada), in his favored mode of interlocking stories. A look at the cast and crew confirms that a lot of other extremely talented Mexicans worked in the movie, among them awesome DP Rodrigo Prieto and Brigitte Broch, an amazing art director whom I adore (she worked on some of my little commercials before she became super busy and rightly famous and she was always THE BEST). I'm crossing my fingers for Oscar time again, Brigitte, poniendo changuitos, like we say in Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment