Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I've had it

New York is going to the dogs. The rich dogs, that is. And I've had it with everything being obscenely overpriced. A friend visiting from Paris is appalled at the fact that New York is more expensive than Paris at this point, at least when it comes to food and wine.
They are turning the proles away. Now MetLife is selling Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper Village to turn it into expensive, unaffordable housing. Brooklyn is already fast becoming that. Who is going to live here? Just assholes with money?
The freaking millionaire mayor of this town should give a shit about this because if this town continues its inexorable turn into asshole central, I'm blaming him entirely for it.
A glass of wine now is 19 dollars. A shot of tequila 16 (and they don't even give you a good lime with it). Some places have the chutzpah of charging 8 bucks for a beer. Entrees at soso places now command upward of 25 bucks. And people are lining up to pay the prices.
You can't have a city of rich only. The LES sucks. The East Village sucks. Places that had some NY charm now look like malls. If I see one more nail salon I will go berserk.
We need a depression.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:11 AM

    My dear:

    As you know, I've recently joined the legions of unemployed Newyorkers who call themselves "freelance". So, I too, embrace your dislike for all things elitist which make this tiny, little island a tinier little island. I could draw a parallel to cuba, but, then you would find me unoriginal.
    I agree, there must be a total lack of respect for our currency that we have to up our prices to such ridiculous heights (maybe this has something to do with these mens' penises' -- a perverse thought that
    just popped into my head) but, the one thing, I do disagree with you on is the depression.
    I am not an expert on economics--otherwise, I wouldn't be concerned so much about the price of a tequila shot, but, I am a history buff, and a depression or anything remotely passing for a depression is a 2nd Katrina. I hope I am making some sense after my 2nd glass of wine, my heart is in this even if my fingers or my head can't keep up.
    But, there you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, that was a completely irresponsible, despondent thing to say... but it was a rhetorical flourish. Be it far from me to wish upon us the grapes of wrath.

    ReplyDelete